Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Love Your Neighbor

"Love your neighbor as yourself" and the world will change. Problem is, in order to really love someone else you have to love yourself first. In this age of self-centrism where people don't want their money helping someone else's healthcare and issues always seeming to fall into the fight of "how will it affect my bottom line?" I would like to posit that it may not be that people do not love their neighbors. It may be that we do not yet love ourselves. How can we follow the golden rule when we do not know how to love or treat the person in the mirror? Find yourself today. Take a deep look at who you really are. Not what faith you are, or who you come home to at night, or what political party you are. Look deep inside and find out if you love the person you see. You might get surprised by the answer you find. If you find the love of your inner self lacking, take yourself on a reflective date and fall in love again. It could be a quiet walk, a dinner out by yourself, or even a solo shopping trip. Find a way to connect to that inner self and learn to love what you see. You may find you want to work on the "man in the mirror" in order to change him/her and there is nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you can love who you are now as well as who you can be. If we all really knew how to love ourselves, we would know how to treat each other right. In that great day when we all really love ourselves and each other, it will be a new world.

Kol Tuv,
Matthew

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting and true, I don't think that not agreeing on national HC means a person does not love their fellow man/woman. It's just a matter of seeing things from a different perspective as to what will best help everyone. I don't think I am that way. In my heart I am a compassionate person. I do think that we all need to take a look at ourselves in the mirror. For me, I know that I don't fully love myself or I would not treat my body to large amounts of carbs when I know I am insulin resistant. I would be going to the gym everyday. It may seem shallow to some, but it's very deep to me! I can honestly say I am not happy with my current weight and I pay a very qualified R.D. to tell me what to do, and if I don't do what she says that what am I paying her for? She even admits to that. Her overall goal is my health not my looks and I of course want to be healthy but am very unhappy with myself for the way I look. If I don't do the very reasonable things she asks me to do, then I want to have a weigh problem. That's why I do not love myself. I feel not worthy because I do not fit Hollywood size standards. I made a choice and everyday it's a struggle to try to change. Being in a family wedding kind of helps with motivation. People have all kinds of addictions, alcohol, drugs, sex,spending, facebook, and for me it happens to be carbs amongst very poor overall eating habbits. I can use my hormone disorder to shrug it off and say I have a hormone disorder and eating disorder, both of which are true, to excuse myself and say pass the bread, it's not my fault or I can be responsible for my addiction to carbs/poor eating habits. For me when I look in the mirror, I don't see someone I want to look at. Well, I can ask myself to change my ways, and it is one day at a time. Everyday, holding myself accountable for what I ate and how much I exercised. Other people are going to find different things when they look in the mirror but that is what I found. I think you made very valid points in asking everyone to do so. You can't love anyone else until you love yourself. I don't think I will agree on national HC if I do love myself, but I think I will be a hell of a lot happier and hopefully be able to be more giving to people in my life.

    ReplyDelete